If you haven't heard yet, I've been spending most of my "spare" time preparing for the week ahead (Nov 5-9th). I met David Batstone, author of Not For Sale- The Return of the Global Slave Trade- and How We Can Fight It last spring while working at Pepperdine. As I heard about the abolitionist movement to end modern day slavery, I was captivated! Since then, I have been working to establish a week long program series to create awareness of the issue of slavery still existing today. Along the way, I have met some marvelous people doing God's work...some as their profession, others as a cause or calling, and still others with their prayers, support and active participation in the fight against modern slavery. I feel that I have just touched the tip of the iceberg. There is much more for me to learn, but I am also just taken aback by what happens when you open your ears, heart and mouth (usually I do this in the wrong order, but even that God has worked through!). After much prayer and anticipation, the week ahead will be the results of this labor. At Seattle Pacific University, we are hosting the Not For Sale faith tour on Monday, Nov. 5th (http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/). The Not For Sale Campaign is delivering a multimedia presentation that includes clips from the rockumentary film, "Concert to End Slavery", LI
VE performances of redemption songs, clips from the Roadside Attraction's film TRADE, and David Batstone speaking LIVE on strategic ways to fight human trafficking. It is open to the public, so feel free to come check it out at 8pm in Upper Gwinn. If you come early, you can walk through the Justice Fair from 7-8pm, which is hosting campus and local groups related to social justice issues including Acting on Aids, Urban Involvement, 37five project, World Vision, Women of Purpose, Agros International, Amnesty International, Justice Works, Voice of the Martyrs and Not For Sale.
VE performances of redemption songs, clips from the Roadside Attraction's film TRADE, and David Batstone speaking LIVE on strategic ways to fight human trafficking. It is open to the public, so feel free to come check it out at 8pm in Upper Gwinn. If you come early, you can walk through the Justice Fair from 7-8pm, which is hosting campus and local groups related to social justice issues including Acting on Aids, Urban Involvement, 37five project, World Vision, Women of Purpose, Agros International, Amnesty International, Justice Works, Voice of the Martyrs and Not For Sale.Tuesday, Nov 6th David is speaking at a faith learning forum from 1-2pm in DH 150. Thursday, Nov. 8th has Bob Goff, founder of Restore International speaking on restoring justice to children and the poorest of the poor. Finally, on Thursday evening from 8-10pm Acting on Aids is hosting a Benefit Concert with band Jubilee with % of proceeds going to IJM.
Once this program series has completed, please pray that the momentum will continue within the Seattle community. I look forward to continuing to connect with others on this issue and learning more about how I can support the effort along the way.
1 comment:
That's AWESOME! Way to "Engage the culture and change the world!"
Let us know how it goes.... and if we can help.
Post a Comment